WorldFest at Silver Dollar City
Posted on April 19th, 2012
Every spring, entertainers from around the globe come to Silver Dollar City for America’s largest International Music and Food Festival. Music is truly an international language, and “Worldfest” celebrates this idea by bringing artists from nine countries to SDC. This years festival runs till May 6th, and features
Viva Italia – An Italian Showcase!: The Red’s Gold Courtyard becomes “Little Italy” with authentic Italian entertainment including ” Viva Italia”,acrobatic flag throwers, living statues and stilt walkers, and “La Bella Musica”, an Italian music show that features world-class tenor Aaron Caruso, Italian-style soprano Melanie Goerlitz, and world accordion champion Cory Pesaturo.
- • The Mariachi Divas, a Grammy Award-winning all-female music ensemble with 12 members from Mexico, Cuba, Samoa, Argentina, Colombia, Honduras and more. Their music is a blend of latin, ranchero, and merengue.
- • Hawaiian Country Music:This tribute to the traditional music of the Hawaiian islands featuresg four-time Grammy winner George Kahumoku playing slack key guitar, along with native musicians and dancers.
- • Peru’s Yawar Chicchi Scissor Dancers: This Peruvian folk music and scissor dance troupe features 12 amazing performers.
- • Kenyan Sarakasi Acrobats: This high energy troupe from Mombasa, Kenya combines high-energy acrobatics and pulsating African rhythms for an unbelievable performance featuring rapid-fire pyramid building, tumbling, mind-boggling feats of balance, juggling comedy and more.
- Kerry Christensen: This Austrian Master Yodeler has traveled across the US and is a repeat performer at WorldFest.
- Ecuador Manta: This Ecuadorian group beautifully performs the musiv of the Andes using traditional Andean instruments including the zampona, a bamboo wind flute, the quena, similar to a recorder, the charango, a small 10 string guitar made from armadillo shell, and the bombo, a goat-skinned drum.
- Dearbhail Finnegan: Dearbhail is a master of the Irish Harp and is a member of the Grammy-winning Belfast Harp Orchestra. She has performed before former U.S. President Bill Clinton. She returns to Worldfest 2012 to perform her haunting melodies with her husband, Robin Slater.
- Academic Band: This brass band from Russia performs their own special brand of traditional Russian and Dixieland music.Directed by Nikolai Novitchkov of the Ulyanovsk State Symphony Orchestra, Academic Band performs at many international festivals, and has performed at the United States Embassy in Moscow.
Music, dance and comedy are only part of the fun of WorldFest. Silver Dollar City always serves great food and during Worldfest, International dishes are served up in the Frisco Barn. Sample fantastic foods from Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Greece, Germany, China, and more!